Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary, continued: PDE Ramayana, Part D

These are my notes for sections 61-80 in the PDE Ramayana (Part D). Here I have come up with three more options for week 3 Storytelling assignment.

Being Kubhakarna

For some reason I felt bad for the giant. I know he was not nice, but what if it was because of the curse put on him to just sleep and eat? In this storytelling idea, I would talk about a day in the life of a giant (pre-curse and war). The ending could be what happened that forced him to get cursed.


Brahma’s Weapon
This story would fit right in with my Storybook idea of celestial weapons. The first was when Rama was granted access to weapons to defeat the Rakshasa’s during his exile. This weapon is one that Brahma created out of fire so that the Rakshasa king Ravana could be defeated. With the grand story behind this weapon, it could be a story on it’s own.

Alternate Ending

I absolutely hated how this story ended. Maybe I am just too modern, but Rama is a chauvinistic jerk who is entitled and entirely subject to peer pressure. He saw Sita in her purity, and it was proved, but he still chose to listen to those around him. In my ending, I would resume after she proves herself in the fire, then let them go back to the palace. When people tried to question her, Rama would stand up for the woman he married, and that would be the end of that gossip. They would still have twins, and Valmiki would have moved to the palace for guidance in the children’s lives. This would still give an end where the Ramayana became a song and was passed on for generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment