Thursday, February 18, 2016

Week 5 Storytelling: A Woman in Exile

Draupadi's Diary

Day 1 of Year 1

I cannot believe What Yudhishthira has done to us, to me! Even after I saved him from his gambling addiction and convinced King Dhritarashtra to release us, he still returned once more to get us exiled…FOR THIRTEEN YEARS!!!


Day 14 of Year 1

We have been walking through this forest for quite some time now. My husbands are growing weary, as am I. I should not be living the life of a hermit, I am a royal! Yudhishthira has been trudging around for days now. No one will speak to him, and this is beginning to weigh on him. It is unfair for him to be labeled the leader just by being the oldest, but that is how society works.


Day 312 of Year 1

My time with Yudhishthira is coming to an end. I have finally released my underlying grudge for him by washing in the Ganga. I fasted for two days, and did nothing but pray. Upon leaving the glorious river, I felt like a new woman. I approached my husband and he noticed the change as well. He sent the others away so we could spend some happy time together. I have to start focusing on the positive.


Day 1 of Year 2

Today is my first day with Bhima. This is one of my least favorite parts of having five husbands. My relationship with Yudhishthira grew the most ever has in these last few months, and now I am supposed to forget it all and get reacquainted with the man I have not been with in four years! I truly love Bhima, so I will not complain. He was so excited to see me, to be with me, to be able to think of me all he wants again; I must not take this overflowing love for granted.


Day 1 of Year 3

Now it is Arjuna’s year. We as a caravan are getting very good at coming up with games to play, and things to do. There are blooms on the trees, and the birds sing such glorious songs. Though I am anxious for my husbands to defeat Duryodhana and his army so we may return to the throne, it is days like today that I understand the life of a hermit. Arjuna made us a picnic and we went alone to a beautiful green spot by the river flowing from the mountain. It was a wonderful way to start our year. Though I would never admit it aloud, Arjuna is my favorite husband to be with.


Day 1 of Year 4

Nakula was so anxious to attain me today that he had me blushing in front of everyone with his sweet words. Every year has gone by faster and faster. I do hope it slows down a little, because I don’t want my life to suddenly end because I was wishing it away.


Day 1 of Year 5

After this year, the cycle of my husband’s begins all over again. I am so ready to be with Sahadeva, for I love him dearly. Hopefully I will not bear a child while in this forest. We have moved once more to a beautiful area, but I am ready for the life I was supposed to live.


Draupadi and the five Pandavas (Wiki)

Author’s Note: I have not written a diary story before now, and to be honest I am not a huge fan. I couldn’t figure out how to add climax and resolution to the story, so for now it looks like I just filled in a few gaps in the 12 years I have read thus far. I got the idea to do a diary because I have read another student’s diary storytelling post and I really enjoyed it.

I chose to make Draupadi very stubborn in this diary. She had a right to be mad at Yudhishthira, but at many points she was completely blowing up. In The Mahabharata, she made numerous statements that basically stated she was severely being mistreated because she was supposed to be a royal and live in a palace. Based on what I have read thus far, she has always been pretty spoiled where ever she ends up.

The picture I have selected is of Draupadi and her five husbands.  I couldn't find one of her in exile.  I really enjoy this picture because it is all the main characters in her diary in one picture.


Bibliography: R.K. Narayan’s The Mahabharata written in 1978.

2 comments:

  1. I understand why you wanted to do a diary post, I rather enjoyed reading it. It gives a different and more personal perspective to the story. As with all diaries it’s hard to convey a pivotal point in the story or even resolution. So, don’t fault yourself for that, your diary, reads exactly like a diary. I have kept diaries since I have remembered and because I write some lengthy pages, I find myself wishing for it here as well. That’s just my weird preference though (I like to details,sometimes to many), it doesn’t take away what you have conveyed and honestly it’s not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Whitney! Congrats on using the diary method. I too chose a different style “confess” and I am not fond of it either. I guess we’re just too used to creating a story with an introduction, climax and a happy ending, like most tales! I enjoyed reading your take on her journey throughout the years! You conveyed her characteristic of jealous very well in this post. I like the picture you chose too! I think it ties well with the story because it allows the reader to see the differences in husbands.

    ReplyDelete