Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Week 6 Reading Diary: continued, R.K. Narayan's The Mahabharata (Part D)

Title: The Mahabharata
Author: R.K. Narayan
Year: 1978
Part C, pages 132-176


Ganga giving Shantanu their son, Bhishma (Wiki)
Bhishma

Though Bhishma was on the wrong side of the war, I really liked him. He was so smart, and his entire purpose was to suffer on earth. I found this very sad. Even the Pandavas so dearly loved him that they went to see him right before he died. His story of how he came about blew my mind. How his father finally saved his eighth child that Ganga was going to drown was mesmerizing. I don’t even know what I would write about, but I like Bhishma. I think it is so neat that his mother is Ganga, and also that he has been allowed to choose when he would die.


Epilogue – Re-vamped

I enjoyed the epilogue given in the book, but I think I would like to write my own. I have never done so, and I think it would be a new and exciting story type to try for storytelling. This area is left open to so many possibilities. I could change how they died, or introduce other people’s children/lineage and change up who later ruled Hastinapur.

I am not a huge fan or war in writing. but I don’t mind it in movies or television.  When reading roughly the last 20 pages of The Mahabharata, I kept getting confused about who was who, and what side each person was on (there were WAY too many names to remember exactly who was on what side). Because of this, I could not get into what I was reading during most of the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment