Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 5 Reading Diary: continued, R.K. Narayan's The Mahabharata (Part B)

Title: The Mahabharata
Author: R.K. Narayan
Year: 1978
Part B
Draupadi from The Mahabharata (Wiki)

Draupadi's Diary: A Woman in Exile

This would be a new story type I have not tried.  I believe it would be a great idea to give more insight into what the one woman in this caravan was thinking when alone.  She makes many of her thoughts clear in the beginning of the exile, but little is known of what happened throughout.  If she is still switching husbands every year, I could make five entry posts about the five different husbands and how they vary from each other.

Duryodhana

I don't exactly know what I would write about this guy, but I really am starting to hate him (though this was probably the authors intent).  He is vile, and untrustworthy in all senses of the word.  I believe the book explains it best when calling him a jackal over and over.  I'm sure I could come up with a great story out of the passionate hate I have developed for this apparent antagonist.  I really want to write an ending now where he just dies, but I have a feeling something bad is going to happen after the curse put on him at the end of chapter 8.

Arjuna With Indra

I really enjoyed reading about how Indra took his son in and helped him in every way he could (though oddly, he even tried to hand him a hooker...unsuccessfully).  If I were to choose to write about Arjuna's time here, I would have a lot of freedom for creativity, because very little was written for a total of a five year stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment