Friday, January 29, 2016

Possible Storybook Topics

1. Possible Topic: Sita’s Life. Sita has captured my attention since before I even knew who she was and what story she came from. Most of it came from the pictures I have seen, and now that I am half way through the PDE Ramayana, I understand why I was so fascinated.


Research so far. Reading the Ramayana has been my largest source of research thus far. I have also browsed the Wikipedia page on her to find out more about her life. I could write about her birth, marriage, and exile as the three parts to the storybook. I had to tread carefully through this page, as I did not want to spoil the end of the Ramayana for myself!  I looked at multiple Storybooks for Sita (she is quite popular) and they gave me more ideas.

2. Possible Topic: Magical Weapons. I think it would make a great storybook to write various stories on the celestial weapons that appear in the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. Some options include giving some weapons a personality; making some silly, others serious.
Research so far. I have read of some of these weapons appearing to Rama in the Ramayana, but I know there are many “magical” weapons that appear in Hindu storytelling.  I found a really cool Wikipedia article on celestial weapons in the Hindu culture.

3. Possible Topic: Gods of Trimurti. Another possible storytelling option is three of the Gods that are a part of the Trimurti, the name of the three major deities in Hinduism. They are Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma. From the Ramayana, Vishnu is the God that Rama came from, Shiva is the God whose bow was broken by Rama, and Brahma was the God who gave Ravana his boon.
Research so far. I have read multiple Wikipedia articles, and gone down a few rabbit holes trying to learn more. I learned that in the Trimurti, Brahma is the creator, Vishnu is the preserver, and Shiva is the destroyer. I believe a good storybook could come from these three Gods and three stories emulating their “titles”.

4. Possible Topic: Animal characters. I have truly enjoyed all of the animal characters that have made their way into the stories. I believe three great ones come from the Ramayana, and they are Hanuman, Sugriva, and Sampati. The three have very grand stories, and I believe they could be expanded/changed for the storybook.
Research so far.
I have perused articles for all three, and I believe it is possible to make a storybook out of them. I am partial to Hanuman based on his actions in the Ramayana (epic!), but Sampati’s story of losing his wings with Jatayu and Sugriva’s battle with his brother Vali are also other great possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment