Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Growth Mindset

I have never heard of Carol Dweck before tonight. In the various aspects of my life, I realize that I am in vastly different places on the growth-fixed mindset spectrum. In school, I am in the fixed mindset, because I often feel there is nothing more I can get out of these classes without live experience. Currently working in the field I am graduating in, I have a full growth mindset. Here, I learn every day, and I always have a plan for how I can improve efficiency, ability, and knowledge. 


(Photo taken from Growth Mindset Memes blog)

While at OU, I learned that my type of learning is hands-on. If I had not figured this out, I do not believe I could have made it this far. My biggest challenges in learning new things is when I become closed-minded. This often occurs because I hear teachers say things I know to be incorrect by personal experience, so I shut down. I need to alter this form of thinking, as I know the men and women hired to teach us were given careful consideration.

I am enjoying what I have seen about the growth mindset thus far. As a mother, I am always looking to improve how I teach and parent, and this seems to be one of the perfect opportunities to attempt that. I am currently worried about my production class, as the teacher is quite monotone, yet expects a great amount of work. I need to apply the growth mindset to this class in order to get out of it the most I can.

1 comment:

  1. Hi again Whitney!
    Laura Gibbs really makes some of the funniest cat memes I have ever seen and to incorporate them into a growth mindset challenge it genius. I love the cat you picked and I agree that OU has taught me how to be a hands on learner. You should post more growth mindset thoughts because yours were very interesting.
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete