Thursday, January 28, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary, continued: PDE Ramayana, Part C

These are my notes for sections 41-60 in the PDE Ramayana (Part C). Here I have come up with three options for week 3 Storytelling assignment.

Rama Beats Vali

I do understand why this section is controversial. Rama is in complete hiding watching two equals fight (most likely to the death of one) and he intervenes with no announcement to create a victor. In this possible storytelling option, I would expand on what happened when Rama beat Vali. Due to the controversial nature of this portion of the Ramayana, I believe it would be a good idea to give Rama a reason for why he did what he did. The idea I came up with is to focus on the fact that Rama’s father said he is explicitly not allowed to enter a city during the fourteen years. Vali wouldn’t come out just seeing Sugriva, so Rama had to be stealthy.

Sampati Getting Wings

This option would be to tangent out from the current ending of Sampati’s story. It could be Rama and Sita on their journey home, and Rama sees Sampati and, knowing the story, grants him his wings. It could include Sita and Rama’s gratitude in his aid in finding Rama’s bride.

Hanuman’s Tail

I truly enjoyed this portion of the story. I loved how Sita had empathy for Hanuman, and wanted to save him the pain. I also love his ingenious idea of taking his punishment and punishing Lanka tenfold in return. I feel this portion of the Ramayana was much too short, and has many options to be expanded on or added.

No comments:

Post a Comment