Thursday, February 25, 2016

Week 6 Storytelling: Uttarai's Sacrifice

An Indian Wedding (Wiki)


Author’s Note. The origin of this story idea came from R.K. Narayan’s The Mahabharata. When Virata finds out that the men who have been working for him are the five Pandavas, he suddenly promises his daughter, Uttarai, to Arjuna’s son, Abhumanyu. After the nuptials, nothing more is spoken of her until the end of the epic where her son becomes the sole heir to the Pandavas. I decided to embellish on her life (and make her a little modern).  I got the idea while reading The Mahabharata and noting to myself that I didn't think it fair that the king just promised her off in a moment's notice.

In my storytelling, Uttarai does not want to marry Abhimanyu, for she loves another man. She is stubborn but wise (as you will see), and ultimately believes her father only wants the best for her.  Will she get what she wants? Or will she obey?

The picture I have selected is of a modern Indian wedding. I could not find much information on ancient wedding ceremonies, so I was a little confused on what to write when I got to the actual wedding part. Hopefully I have done this amazing culture its due justice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Wedding

“I just don’t think this is fair!” Uttarai stomped over to the dressing stage. Uttarai’s maid, Jen, walked over to grab the royal dress of the day.

”Uttarai, you knew this day would come. Why are you surprised? You know it is the tradition of our land to have the suitor of a woman chosen by her father.” Jen walked around Uttarai wrapping the sari around her.

After all of her morning preparations, Uttarai began walking through the garden alone to collect her thoughts. It was unfair that she had no say in who she was to marry. She didn’t even know this man and he was supposed to be her husband next week!

She heard a man’s voice and hid behind the massive bush of pink roses. Peering through a small hole, she saw the massive man talking with one of her father’s advisors. He was handsome. An innocent smile shone on her face, and then she remembered he couldn’t even see her. He leaned over and picked up Uttarai’s small dog. He pet him gently and spoke with silliness as one does with a child. Why couldn’t she be with him? He was perfect, and she wanted him.

“This is just unfair!” Uttarai stomped back to her dressing room. She wept on Jen’s lap until no more tears would come. She regained her composure and decided to go speak with her father.

Her father was sitting merrily on his grand chair in the dining hall for breaking fast.

“My dearest daughter, what is troubling you?” King Virata took another bite of his eggs.

“Oh Father! I believe you to be a just man. Please, Father, please do not make me marry Abhimanyu!” She fell at his feet and began crying once more.

”My love, my life,” Virata caressed her hair gently, “Abhimanyu is the grandson of a God. He is mighty at war, but kind in heart. He is respectful and knows no separation of persons. These are all the traits I ever wanted in the man I gave your hand. Please, sweet Uttarai, obey my command. It is not a punishment, but a reward!”

“Father, I will obey you, but I do not wish to meet him until the day we wed. I fear I will scare him off with my endless stream of tears.” Uttarai lifted her head. She now knew there was no other way; she had to marry a man she didn’t even know.

Three days later, the wedding party met in the marble hall. As promised, Uttarai did not attend, and Virata did not call for her.

Saturday came and it was time. Jen was the one weeping this time as she got Uttarai dressed. Today, they began much earlier than normal. Uttarai had accepted her fate. Jen was a mess, and she hugging Uttarai randomly and bowing every time she leaned back to take in her masterpiece.

Uttarai walked down the grand staircase. Oh no! There was the perfect man from the garden!

“Great,” she thought, “not only do I have to marry a man I don’t want to, but now I have to do so in front of the man I truly wanted!” Her seeming smile changed to a frown. Suddenly the man walked up to her and put his arm out.

“Hello, Princess Uttarai.” He bent down and kissed her hand. “I am Abhimanyu, and you are perfect.”



Bibliography: R.K. Narayan’s The Mahabharata written in 1978.

3 comments:

  1. Whitney,

    I appreciate your attempts to modernize the Mahabharata. A big problem I have with some of these older epic stories is a lack of understanding and context for the cultures in which they take place. Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing more of your great work throughout the upcoming semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely loved this piece of yours, Whitney! I enjoyed seeing the other side of the story and you present it very well what a girl might go through if in her situation. I loved that garden part on bestowing upon Abhimanyu himself but not realizing it. It was a great twist and turns for this kind of story and was well written! Can't wait to see your future stories later on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you developed a story for Uttarai before she married Abhimanyu. While reading, I was able to witness Uttarai going through the motions of not wanting to participate in the arranged marriage. You did a good job in expressing Uttarai’s her demeanor towards the ordeal. What I liked most about your story is the ending, and how she expressed her feelings through her facial expressions. I wondered if she knew she was actually knew that she was frowning, or if she was doing it on purpose.

    ReplyDelete